(MURFREESBORO, TN) Community members are asked to be on the lookout for two men who are ‘Persons of Interest in a case that involves a fraudulent ‘rewards card’ scam. Detectives are currently investigating and attempting to identify the individuals who allegedly placed two countertop kitchen appliances in their cart and proceeded to a check-out line at the Memorial Boulevard Walmart store. After the cashier scanned the items, one of the males produced a card that he stated was a "rewards card.”
Reports from the August 22nd scam indicate the card contained printed instructions addressed to the cashier on how to "process" the transaction. After the cashier followed the directions on the card, the transaction appeared to have been successful - due to the register opening as it would with any other successful transaction.
The second male then selected two Walmart gift cards and asked for $500 to be placed onto both cards using the same "rewards card” to pay for them, according to the MPD. Police say the situation was later determined to be a scam and these two are alleged to have hit multiple Walmart locations along the East Coast.
Source: MPD Case
DISCLAIMER: All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The arrest records or information about an arrest that are published or reported on NewsRadio WGNS and www.WGNSradio.com are not an indication of guilt or evidence that an actual crime has been committed.
Additional WGNS NEWS Headlines:
- UPDATED: Beloved Teacher at Riverdale High School Passes Away - Read More
- FREE Event in Murfreesboro for All Ages on Saturday, Fire Trucks, a Helicopter, Food Trucks and MORE
- Fatal Accident Early Thursday Morning on I-24 near Smyrna – Read More
- MTSU Bra Drive Going on Now – Read More
- UPDATE: Name of Woman Killed in Sunday Fire Confirmed – Read More
- This Saturday: The Final Middle Half to take place in Downtown Murfreesboro – Read More
- UPDATE: Murfreesboro Wants Your Input on New Skatepark and BMX Track – Read More
- Rutherford County Continues to Provide Additional Aid to Hurricane Impacted Areas - Read More