RUTHERFORD COUNTY, TN - Rutherford County Mayor Joe Carr said that we continue to struggle with the means to pay for growth... Carr said that other municipalities have the ability to levy impact fees and/or development taxes on new growth...
State Representative Tim Rudd of Murfreesboro voted down Rutherford County's proposal this past legislative session... The state representative said that Realtor's, developers and members of the state delegation will further discuss legislation to possibly allow the county to charge an impact fee later this summer. After different groups and residents weigh the pros and cons, Rudd said he'd consider a new bill during the next legislative session.
Even if Rutherford County were allowed to charge a $5,000 impact fee, Rudd said it would not be enough to help the county fund growth... Keep in mind that if the county were allowed to charge up to $5,000 in impact fees on new construction, then new developments in the City of Murfreesboro would quickly be hit with both the city's NEW impact fee AND a possible county impact fee.
Carr said the only way that Rutherford County can pay for growth is through the property tax... County Mayor Carr suggested that Rutherford County is held to a much different standard than other counties... As for now, the county will not be allowed to charge an impact fee on new construction, but that could be revisited by state legislators in the next legislative session.
HEAR MORE - Hear more from Rutherford County Mayor Joe Carr in this interview by WGNS' Bart Walker that was aired LIVE on Wednesday, May 31, 2023...
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- City of Murfreesboro Impact Fee on New Home Construction and More
- Rutherford County Mayor Aims to Establish an Impact Fee or Development Tax
- A Soldier’s Child Announces NEW Solid Black Specialty License Plate
- One Arrested for Attempted Murder in Murfreesboro
- UPDATE: Mixed-Use Development in Downtown Murfreesboro Still Moving Forward
- Rutherford County Schools will Completely Rezone All Local Schools
- UPDATE: Suspect in Franklin, TN Teen Sexual Groping Case Arrested
- UPDATE: 4-Year-Old Dies in Shooting at a Nashville Intersection
- APPEAL DENIED: Man Files Appeal After THC Related DUI and Sentencing
- Nashville Superspeedway and Rackley Roofing Show Support for MTSU Daniels Center
- House and Senate Members from Rutherford Co. Push for Better Updates to Hospital Bed Availability