MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Murfreesboro Police officers arrested a man after a shooting and brief foot pursuit on Wednesday, May 31, 2023, several minutes after midnight.
19-Year-old Keonza Scales allegedly ran from MPD officers, but was quickly taken into custody after the shooting, according to Public Information Officer Larry Flowers. Scales is charged with attempted first-degree murder, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.
MPD officers responded to the parking lot of the old Mid-TN Expo Center at 1664 Middle Tennessee Boulevard after one officer heard gunshots. A 22-year-old man was located at a nearby gas station and the subject was suffering from a gunshot wound. Authorities told WGNS, "The shooting victim was flown to the hospital by helicopter. His condition is not known."
The preliminary investigation shows Scales, another man, and a 17-year-old, were driving through the parking lot of the old expo center around 12:15 a.m. Scales reportedly asked the driver to stop after seeing someone that he thought he recognized. Scales approached the 22-year-old man and started shooting at him.
Officers saw a red Dodge pickup leaving the parking lot where the shooting occurred with no headlights on. Officers conducted a traffic stop, and that’s when Scales got out of the truck and took off running, according to the MPD. He was taken into custody behind the now vacant Kroger grocery store. Police recovered an AR-15 rifle and several handguns were also found inside the pickup truck.
Investigators are still interviewing others involved in the case and the investigation is on-going. Scales is currently being held in the Rutherford County Adult Detention Center on a $113,000 bond. A hearing is set June 29 in General Sessions Court.
DISCLAIMER: All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The arrest records or information about an arrest that are published or reported on NewsRadio WGNS and www.WGNSradio.com are not an indication of guilt or evidence that an actual crime has been committed.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- City of Murfreesboro Impact Fee on New Home Construction and More
- Rutherford County Mayor Aims to Establish an Impact Fee or Development Tax
- A Soldier’s Child Announces NEW Solid Black Specialty License Plate
- One Arrested for Attempted Murder in Murfreesboro
- UPDATE: Mixed-Use Development in Downtown Murfreesboro Still Moving Forward
- Rutherford County Schools will Completely Rezone All Local Schools
- UPDATE: Suspect in Franklin, TN Teen Sexual Groping Case Arrested
- UPDATE: 4-Year-Old Dies in Shooting at a Nashville Intersection
- APPEAL DENIED: Man Files Appeal After THC Related DUI and Sentencing
- Nashville Superspeedway and Rackley Roofing Show Support for MTSU Daniels Center
- House and Senate Members from Rutherford Co. Push for Better Updates to Hospital Bed Availability