(La Vergne, Tenn.) UPDATE: Visitation and funeral arrangements have been announced for Lt. Robert Hayes, who passed away on April 17th following a short, but valiant fight against cancer.
Hayes, a longtime officer with the City of La Vergne Police Department, was recently promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. The beloved officer was a 17-year veteran of the department and his diagnosis with terminal pancreatic cancer was a complete surprise to many. That diagnosis was given to Hayes last month (March 2023).
Directly after the diagnosis, his health rapidly declined and he passed away on Monday, April 17, 2023, while surrounded by friends and family. Lt. Hayes was 53-years-old and is survived by his wife, Kimberly, of 25 years, and his three adult children, Madison, Jeffery, and Edward.
“This has been an extremely difficult time for Bob’s family, our police department, and everyone who knows and loves Bob,” says Interim Chief Brent Hatcher. “He’s our brother. He had a tremendous impact on everyone he met and he will be sorely missed.”
Lt. Hayes first started working in La Vergne as an officer in September of 2005. In 2010, he was promoted to detective with the criminal investigations division and in 2013 moved over to the patrol side, serving as sergeant. In his time at the police department, he also served as a taser instructor, a CHANT team member, and public information officer. In February of 2023, Hayes was promoted to patrol lieutenant.
Both the visitation and funeral will be held at the Woodlawn Funeral Home on Thompson Lane in Nashville, TN. Visitation will be on Thursday, April 20, from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. and on Friday, April 21 at 12:00 p.m. The funeral service will be held on Friday, April 21 at 1:00 p.m.
All city offices will be closed on Friday at Noon and will reopen Monday, April 24 at 8:00 a.m.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- Persons of Interest Identified in Local Theft of Light Fixtures Case
- $250,000 in Items Seized from Middle TN Metal Company
- 4th Annual MMC Storybook Breakfast - Fundraiser for United Way
- Education Starts at Home and Supporting Local Teachers
- Free Comic Books to be Given Away by Rutherford Co. Library Branches
- Convicted Rapist in Rutherford Co. Receives 100-Year Prison Sentence
- New City Park to be Located in Blackman Area
- Are You Eligible for FEMA Funds After March 31/April 1 Storms?
- EVENT: Free Musical Concert This Saturday Evening in Murfreesboro
- EVENT: Earth Day This Saturday on Murfreesboro Square
- EVENT: Possibility Place to Host Bowling Event on Saturday
- EVENT: Barnabas Vision Hosting Family Event April 29th
- COMMENTARY: What is Political Correctness?
- TN Moves to 10th Least Expensive Market for Gas