The Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office reports another scam is hitting residents in our community. This most recent scam involves a fake law enforcement officer who claims to be with a sheriff's office in another county.
The con-artist has been calling Rutherford County residents and telling them he is with the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office, which is of course a neighboring county. Evidently, the caller sounds quite believable - - but don't fall for it. The conman goes as far as identifying himself as Lt. Williams of the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office.
Like nearly every scam on the face of this earth, the fake officer scam revolves around money. Like many scams WGNS has warned listeners about before, the caller tries to convince residents to pay him over the phone. Some of the scams focus on buying gift cards, while other scams try to get would-be victims to hand over their bank account information. The Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office reports the number being used in the hoax is 615-472-9463. Needless to say, the local Sheriff’s Office says, “If you get a call from this number, simply hang up.”
DISCLAIMER: All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The arrest records or information about an arrest that are published or reported on NewsRadio WGNS and www.WGNSradio.com are not an indication of guilt or evidence that an actual crime has been committed.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- Murfreesboro Police Looking for Fraud/Theft Suspect
- 25 Murfreesboro City Schools Teachers Receive Gifted Endorsement
- Ascension Saint Thomas Rutherford Goes Blue For Colon Health Month
Colon Cancer is the 2nd Leading Cause of Cancer-Related Death for Adults
- Murfreesboro Police Serve Search Warrant at Atlas Street Home
- The Murfreesboro Coffee Marathon is Going on Now
- 44-Year-old missing woman in Murfreesboro located
- COMMENTARY: The Opioid Epidemic in Rutherford County
- TBI Outsourcing Hundreds of Sexual Assault Kits
- UPDATE: Habitat for Humanity Subdivision is Growing
- MTSU’s Jacquet Jazz Festival April 1
- COMMENTARY: The Alex Murdaugh Murder Case
- UPDATE: No Injuries in Saturday Car Fire in Smyrna
- Reeves-Sain Drug Store Reopens
- Cheapest Gas in Rutherford County and the State
- TN National Guard: Smyrna’s 45th Civil Support Team changes command