MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – The Murfreesboro Police Department is equipping its patrol cars with a device that could save lives in a heartbeat. All patrol cars will have Automated External Defibrillators or AEDs on hand for emergencies.
“The person who arrives on the scene first is the best person to start life-saving treatment since every second counts,” Administrative Division Captain Don Fanning said. “Whether it’s an officer, firefighter, paramedic or an emergency medical technician.”
As part of their in-service training, officers undergo CPR and AED training every two years. “It’s about keeping people alive,” Fanning said. “Minutes make a difference when someone’s having a heart attack. CPR buys time, and AEDs save lives. Officers now have the power to save lives right in their patrol car.”
An AED is an easy-to-use medical device designed to help a person who may be experiencing a sudden cardiac arrest. With the press of a button, the machine automatically analyzes the heart’s rhythm and, if necessary, it will deliver an electrical shock to help re-establish an effective heart rhythm.
The first set of cruisers was equipped with AEDs in mid-April. The goal is to issue all uniformed officers an AED by the end of the year.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- Murfreesboro: Development Impact Fees Likely to Pass
- MTSU Honors 58-Retiring Employees
- UPDATE: Memorial Services for LaVergne Police Officer
- $250,000 in Items Seized from Middle TN Metal Company
- 4th Annual MMC Storybook Breakfast - Fundraiser for United Way
- Education Starts at Home and Supporting Local Teachers
- Free Comic Books to be Given Away by Rutherford Co. Library Branches
- Convicted Rapist in Rutherford Co. Receives 100-Year Prison Sentence
- New City Park to be Located in Blackman Area
- Are You Eligible for FEMA Funds After March 31/April 1 Storms?
- EVENT: Free Musical Concert This Saturday Evening in Murfreesboro
- EVENT: Earth Day This Saturday on Murfreesboro Square
- EVENT: Possibility Place to Host Bowling Event on Saturday
- EVENT: Barnabas Vision Hosting Family Event April 29th
- COMMENTARY: What is Political Correctness?