The 69-year-old man who was reported as missing in Rutherford County died in an accident while riding his bike, according to the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office. The Silver Alert was initially issued for Jessie Hobbs after family members reported they had not seen or heard from him since Wednesday, October 5th.
Hobbs, who lived in Murfreesboro, was hit by a motor vehicle while riding his bicycle on U.S. Highway 231 South, according to Denise Martin, supervisor of death investigations for the Rutherford County medical examiner’s office Emergency Medical Services.
The Tennessee Highway Patrol investigated the crash that occurred October 6th on Highway 231 South (also known as the Shelbyville Highway). Authorities say that Hobbs did not have any identification or even a cell phone while riding the bicycle, which unfortunately was a barrier to finding out who he was, Martin said. His fingerprints were checked with no results, further delaying the positive identity of the man.
After the accident, his body was taken to the Regional Forensic Center in Nashville while investigators awaited identification.
Hobbs’ family reported him missing to the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office. Family members gave his dentist’s name who was contacted for dental records. A forensic odontologist identified Hobbs from his dental records.
More WGNS NEWS Headlines:
- Airplane Crash in Williamson County - Pilot Dies in Crash
- Greenhouse Ministries to Hold Fix-It Fair on Saturday
- $5.5 Million Grant for 37-Thousand Feet of Waterlines in Rutherford Co.
- The Banning Books Battle Faced by Local Libraries and Nationwide
- VA Medical Center in Murfreesboro to Host Large Hiring Fair in Search of Nursing Staff
- Homeless Man in Murfreesboro Says Driver of BMW Took His Backpack that Held his Bible and Change of Clothes
- UPDATE: Shooting in Rutherford County Leaves One Dead - Suspect Arrested
- Audio Commentary: Emoji's and the distress that some generations have over the cute little faces
- More Details on the October 14th Shooting in Smyrna, Tennessee