RUTHERFORD COUNTY, TN - Unemployment across the state of Tennessee remained unchanged between August and September, according to data released Thursday by the Department of Labor and Workforce Development (TDLWD). The state’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for September came in at 3.4% and is just 0.2 of a percentage point away from Tennessee’s all-time low of 3.2%.
One year ago, unemployment across the state stood at 3.8%, which is 0.4 of a percentage point higher than the current rate.
While county-by-county numbers for September will not be released until the end of this month, all data at this point suggests that Rutherford County figures should be similar to the 2.7% unemployment rate that was recorded in August.
Tennessee employers created 13,700 new nonfarm jobs between August and September. The trade, transportation, and utilities sector had the largest number of new jobs, followed by the leisure and hospitality sector, and then the education and health services sector.
In a year-to-year comparison, the number of nonfarm jobs across the state increased by 140,200. The leisure and hospitality sector created the most jobs while the trade, transportation, and utilities sector, and the education and health services sector came next on the list.
State-by-state numbers released for August show that Minnesota has the lowest unemployment rate in the country at 1.9%. Tennessee was in the middle of the list, ranked as having the 24th lowest unemployment rate in the United States. Washington D.C. has the highest unemployment rate at 5.1%.
Nationally, seasonally adjusted unemployment dropped in September. It was down 0.2 of a percentage point, coming in at 3.5% for the month. One year ago, the United States unemployment rate was 4.7%.
The TDLWD has a complete analysis of Tennessee’s September 2022 unemployment data available here.
More WGNS NEWS Headlines:
- Teen Killed in Accidental Shooting Wednesday
- Best Cities in Tennessee for Single Moms and Single Dads
- UPDATE: MTSU Murphy Center Turns 50 and Receives New SMART Windows
- The Human Connection and Rutherford Co. Virtual Schools
- Murfreesboro Police Investigate Stolen Car Case
- Authorities Trying to Identify Men on Video after Parking Lot Shooting
- Private School in Murfreesboro is Now Under TSSAA for Football
- More Rules on the Banning of Parties at Airbnb Rentals in Rutherford Co. and TN
- Halloween Events in Murfreesboro and Smyrna on Oct. 29th
- Name of Pilot Killed in Tuesday Airplane Crash Released
- Local Non-profit to Hold Free Fix-It Fair on Saturday
- Haunted Hijinks for Halloween in Murfreesboro and Smyrna
- Missing Man in Murfreesboro Killed in Bike Accident on 231 South