(RUTHERFORD COUNTY, TENN.) Every county in Tennessee recorded unemployment rates below 5% in September, according to the latest data from the Department of Labor and Workforce Development (TDLWD). September also marked the second consecutive month that rates decreased in each of the state’s 95 counties.
Williamson County continued to have the lowest rate in the state at 2.1%, which was down by 0.2 poinits when compared to their August rate of 2.3%. Cheatham and Wilson counties each had a rate of 2.3%, while the rates for Sevier, Rutherford, Sumner, Knox, and Moore counties all came in at 2.4%.
Unemployment in Rutherford County - Smyrna had the lowest unemployment rate in Rutherford County for the month of September at 2.4%, which was lower than their 2.8% unemployment rate recorded the previous month of August. Also in Rutherford County, Murfreesboro and LaVergne both saw lower unemployment figures for September, when compared to August. Murfreesboro and LaVergne had a 2.5% unemployment rating in September, which is 0.3 points lower than the 2.8% unemployment rate recorded in August.
In the month of September (2022), Smyrna, Tennessee had one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state at 2.4%. The only cities with lower rates were Brentwood at 2.0%, Franklin at 2.1%, Spring Hill at 2.1% and Germantown at 2.3%. Hendersonville and Mount Juliet tied with Smyrna at 2.4%.
Rutherford County as a whole had a 2.4% unemployment rate in September. One month prior, the jobless figure for Rutherford County came in at 2.7%. One year prior, Rutherford County had an unemployment rate of 2.9%.
One year prior in September of 2021, LaVerge had an unemployment rate of 3.2%, while Murfreesboro's unemployment rate one year ago was at 3.1%. In Smyrna, the unemployment rate for September of 2021 stood neck-and-neck with the 'Boro at 3.1%.
More on Unemployment in Tennessee - The Nashville Metro Statistical Area has the lowest unemployment numbers in the Volunteer State, at an overall figure of 2.7%. Coming in at second on the list for metro areas was Chattanooga at 3.2%. The Metro Statistical Area with the highest unemployment rate was Memphis, at 4.7%.
In county-by-county comparisons, Perry County had the highest unemployment rate in September at 4.9%. But, that still marked a 0.7 of a percentage point decrease when compared to its rate for August.
Bledsoe County’s rate of 4.8% was the second-highest and represented a decrease of 0.5 of a percentage point from the previous month. Lake County had the next highest rate at 4.7%, which was 0.6 of a percentage point lower than its August rate.
September’s statewide seasonally adjusted unemployment rate held steady at 3.4% for the second consecutive month.
The national seasonally adjusted unemployment rate dropped in September to 3.5%, down 0.2 of a percentage point in a month-to-month comparison.
County unemployment rates are not seasonally adjusted to account for different seasonal impacts on the workforce.
A complete analysis of the September 2022 county unemployment data for Tennessee is available here.
Job seekers can find all the resources and services they need to start their search, all in one place. TNWorkReady is the site where Tennesseans can find a new job, find programs to help them develop new skills, or find classes where adult learners can earn a high school equivalency diploma.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- The Judds FINAL Concert to be Held in Murfreesboro at Murphy Center
- Understanding the 4 Amendments and Voting in Rutherford County
- Solid Waste "Smart Trucks" in Murfreesboro Area
- Holiday Shopping Event on Murfreesboro Square November 4th
- Income of Tennessee Residents and How it Compares to Other States
- Enter the Gingerbread House Contest!
- Murfreesboro Police Aim to Catch Suspect in Check Forgery Case
- UPDATE: Wildfires in Warren County, TN
- OPEN ENROLLMENT for Health / Medical Insurance
- Families of Crash Victims to Honor Loved Ones at Rock Springs Middle School
- Middle Tennessee Electric in the Lineman Rodeo
- 326 Driving and Drug Related Offenses in Rutherford Co.
- Arrests Made in Murfreesboro Kidnapping, Extortion and Robbery Case
- UPDATE: Murfreesboro Skatepark in Planning and Design Phase
- Suspect Charged with Wife's Murder Scheduled for Court in November
- Drug Take-Back Event on Saturday
- Ongoing Scams in Rutherford and Bedford Counties