RUTHERFORD COUNTY, TENN. - UPDATE: An accident that occurred on Tuesday morning in Rutherford County took several hours to clear. The incident was reported on I-24 West near exit 78 and involved a tractor trailer truck that caught fire, while leaking gallons of hydrogen peroxide.
The accident led to the complete shutdown of I-24 West between the New Salem Highway interchange and the interchange at Old Fort Parkway in Murfreesboro. The wreck took manpower from multiple departments to properly investigate, clear and reopen.
On the scene for hours were firefighters from the Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department, the Tennessee Highway Patrol, Hazmat crews and local tow truck workers – all working together.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), "Hydrogen Peroxide (H₂O₂) is a colorless liquid with a slightly sharp odor. Hydrogen peroxide can cause irritation to the eyes, nose, skin, and throat. Workers may be harmed from exposure to hydrogen peroxide. The level of exposure depends upon the dose, duration, and work being done." The CDC also reports, "In industry, hydrogen peroxide in higher concentrations is used as a bleach for textiles and paper, as a component of rocket fuels, and for producing foam rubber and organic chemicals."
WGNS is awaiting word from the THP to learn more details about what went wrong on Tuesday morning. The WGNS News Team will update listeners and WGNSradio.com visitors as soon as more information is available.
MORE WGNS News Headlines:
- 323 Vehicle Break-Ins Reported in Murfreesboro Over the Past 180-Days
- Last Friday Night Concert of the Summer on Murfreesboro Square is This Friday
- Rutherford County, TN Gas Prices are Below State Average
- UPDATE: New Body-Cameras for Murfreesboro Police and More
- U.S. News again ranks MTSU for excellence in ‘social mobility'
- UPDATE: Serious Auto Accident this past Sunday
- Rutherford County Sheriff's Office Warns of Scam
- Discovery and Salem Elementary Receive Reward School Status
- 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb
- Stewarts Creek High School Grad is Abord the USS Boxer
- Car Stolen in Nashville Wrecked in Rutherford County
- VOTE to have More Outdoor Music Concerts in Downtown Murfreesboro
- Former Rutherford County Teacher Indicted by a Grand Jury
- Woman and Son Reported as MISSING in Murfreesboro area