UPDATED: MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - A man was stabbed to death allegedly by his roommate on Monday night in Murfreesboro. The incident occurred in a home on Ransom Drive, which runs between S Rutherford Blvd and Bradyville Pike.
Authorities have now released the name of the victim in Monday night’s fatal stabbing as 31-year-old Phillip Maddox, Jr. Murfreesboro Police Department Violent Crimes Unit detectives arrested the suspect for allegedly stabbing his roommate to death while in their addiction treatment halfway house on Monday night, February 13, 2023.
MPD officers took 24-year-old Malik Smith into custody upon their arrival to the Freedom Recovery House on Ransom Drive in Murfreesboro. Smith was apprehended at 9:49 p.m. on Monday. The suspect is charged with first-degree murder in the stabbing death of one of his roommates.
Officers reported the male roommate was found in an upstairs bedroom. Phillip Maddox, Jr. was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Investigators are still trying to determine the motive behind the deadly stabbing. Therefore, this investigation continues.
In the meantime, Smith is being held at the Rutherford County Adult Detention Center on a $750,000 bond. He has a court appearance set for April 3, 2023 in Rutherford County General Sessions court.
Freedom Recovery House is evidently a home that provides boarding services to residents wanting to live in a clean and sober environment. New residents in the home are supposed to attend one AA or similar meeting daily over their first 90-days in the home.
DISCLAIMER: All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The arrest records or information about an arrest that are published or reported on NewsRadio WGNS and www.WGNSradio.com are not an indication of guilt or evidence that an actual crime has been committed.
Additional WGNS NEWS Stories:
- Fire in Rutherford County Displaces 8 on Tuesday
- Missing Teen from Murfreesboro Safely Located on Feb. 14th
- Name/Age of Man Killed in Murfreesboro House Fire Released
- Big Rig Hauling Dumpster Catches on Fire on I-24 Monday in Smyrna
- MTSU, Siegel Humanities partnership allows high schoolers to celebrate creativity, community
- Romantic Valentine's Themed Orhestra on Thursday of This Week
- Senator Shane Reeves Votes for Legislation to Protect Children from Adult Entertainment
- Fatal Accidents are UP in Rutherford County Over First 43-Days of 2023
- Woman Reported MISSING in Murfreesboro Safely Located in Chattanooga, TN
- Today’s Audio Commentary in the Commissioner Corner with Craig Harris
- Educators in TN, Teacher Pay, Student Safety and More
- Teen Dating Violence is Common and February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
- Leadership Changes at Ascension Saint Thomas as Health System Looks to Future
- Legal Woes in the form of a Sexual Harassment Complaint for LaVergne Police
- New Rutherford County Fire & Rescrue Recruits Enter Week 3 of Training
- Rutherford Co. School Spotlight: LaVergne High School
- 4-Vehicle Rollover Accident in Smyrna Area this past Saturday
- Serious Auto Accident in Murfreesboro this Past Friday