SMYRNA, TENN - This weekend, Saturday, June 10 through Sunday, June 11, at the Great Tennessee Airshow in Smyrna, TN, the U.S. Navy will showcase the Nimitz, a mobile, state-of the-art virtual reality experience that simulates an actual high-speed Navy SEAL mission.
Inside the Nimitz, which is housed in a massive, unfolding 18-wheeler, participants go through a video briefing before strapping on an Oculus Rift headset and a piece of wearable technology called a SubPac (traditionally used by Club DJs) that percusses in real time to the sounds of the mission. Visitors navigate the mission using a cutting-edge steering wheel and throttle system that replicate the actual sensation of piloting a high-speed, Navy Special Warfare Combatant Craft. Once finished, participants move to the debriefing station, where they receive feedback and a performance grade.
MORE ON AIR SHOW - The Great Tennessee Air Show is this coming Saturday and Sunday (June 10-11, 2023) from 8:00AM-4:30PM at the Smyrna-Rutherford County Airport, 613 Fitzhugh Blvd.
This year’s headline group is The U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels. This year, Navy Lt. Amanda Lee is the first female to fly in the Blue Angel’s six-person demonstration show. Lee is from Minnesota and joined the Blue Angel fighter jet demonstration squad in September, 2022.
In addition to the Blue Angels, there will be other phenomenal performers like Fat Albert, the Air Force Raptor F22, the CH-53 Super Stallion Helicopter, SOCOM Para-Commandos, and there will be great static displays.
The Great Tennessee Air Show is said to be one of the greatest in the world. It is presented by Nissan and produced by The Air Show Network. Event coordinators are also working in partnership with the Smyrna/Rutherford County Airport Authority.
Again, tickets must be purchased on-line at The Great Tennessee Air Show Great Tennessee Air Show. The show is this coming weekend: Saturday and Sunday, June 10-11, 2023 from 8:00AM-4:30PM.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- LaVergne to Recount - Says U.S. Census Numbers Off by 4,000 Residents
- Young Man Becomes a Rutherford Co. Sheriff's Deputy for the Day
- Gas and Diesel Prices This Week in Rutherford County
- Fatal Sunday Morning Accident in Murfreesboro
- Great Tennessee Air Show on June 10-11th
- Local High School Students Named Bassmaster Champions
- Smyrna Victim Held Hostage - Two Wanted Persons
- City of Murfreesboro Impact Fee on New Home Construction and More
- Rutherford County Mayor Aims to Establish an Impact Fee or Development Tax
- One Shot in Leg During Murfreesboro Shooting Incident
- Hundreds of Dollars in Liquor Allegedly Shoplifted in Murfreesboro
- A Soldier’s Child Announces NEW Solid Black Specialty License Plate
- Over $1,400 in Scented Candles Reportedly Stolen in the 'Boro
- 250 Citations Issued by Traffic Task Force in Rutherford County in 12-Hours
- One Arrested for Attempted Murder in Murfreesboro
- UPDATE: Mixed-Use Development in Downtown Murfreesboro Still Moving Forward
- Rutherford County Schools will Completely Rezone All Local Schools
- UPDATE: Suspect in Franklin, TN Teen Sexual Groping Case Arrested
- UPDATE: 4-Year-Old Dies in Shooting at a Nashville Intersection
- APPEAL DENIED: Man Files Appeal After THC Related DUI and Sentencing
- Nashville Superspeedway and Rackley Roofing Show Support for MTSU Daniels Center
- House and Senate Members from Rutherford Co. Push for Better Updates to Hospital Bed Availability