BEDFORD COUNTY – A Cowan, Tennessee man faces charges of filing a false report following an investigation by special agents from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
On September 29th, TBI agents received a request from 17th Judicial District Attorney General Rob Carter in Bedford County to investigate a sexual assault allegation. The allegation in question was reportedly made against a lieutenant at the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office. The report came in the form of a tip that was made to the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services Child Abuse Hotline. During the investigation, agents determined the tip was bogus, that no sexual assault occurred, and identified the man responsible for it as 40-year-old George Rayburn Martin.
On Monday, the Bedford County Grand Jury returned indictments, charging Martin with one count of False Reports and one count of False Reporting of Child Sexual Abuse. Authorities served Martin with the new charges at the Bedford County Jail on Tuesday where, at the time of this release from the TBI, he was being held on unrelated charges.
Martin has been behind bars in Shelbyville since November 22nd and as of Thursday afternoon (12/08/22), he is still there. The previous charges he was being held under included Stalking, Assault and Harassment. The bond for the 40-year-old suspect totals $100,000.
Source(s): TBI, Bedford Co. Sheriff’s Office
DISCLAIMER: All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The arrest records or information about an arrest that are published or reported on NewsRadio WGNS and www.WGNSradio.com are not an indication of guilt or evidence that an actual crime has been committed.
Additional WGNS News Headlines to Read:
- Family Christmas at Patterson Park & Cannonsburgh in Lights (Read more)
- State Works to Address Transportation Woes (Read More)
- MTSU Board of Trustees Meeting is Nearing (Read More)
- Students of McFadden Building Community (Read More)
- Nominations Needed for Local "Unsung Hero" (Read More)
- Smyrna High School's Carter Selected as Mr. Football (Read More)
- Rutherford County Courthouse Museum Celebrates 1st Birthday (Read More)
- Multiple Vehicle Break-Ins in Murfreesboro on Tuesday (Read More)
- Plans for the 3rd "Operation Fall Brakes" on I-24 Cancelled (Read More)
- Teacher Shortage in Rutherford County and Beyond (Read More)
- Free Senior Health Fair Thursday between 1 and 3PM (Read More)
- The REAL ID Timeline has been Extended Again (Read More)
- MPD Now Know Name of Alleged Bank Fraud Suspect (Read More)
- New Principal Named at Smyrna West (Read More)
- MTSU Program Helps Working Mom Finich Education (Read More)
- Best 5 Coziest Cities in Tennessee (Read More)
- Ascend Federal Credit Union to Share $5-Million with Members (Read More)
- Felony Lane Gang Suspect Convicted and Sentenced (Read More)
- Rep. Terry Highlights Local Education and Grades (Read More)
- A Commentary on A Charlie Brown Christmas (Read More)
- The Local Library and League of Women Voters (Read More)
- Murfreesboro Murder Case Bound Over to Grand Jury (Read More)
- Special Grant Available to Local Small Business Owners (Read More)