MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Army Veteran and VA Tennessee Valley Healthcare System (TVHS) employee Melvin Gatewood embarked on a 35-mile ruck march today to raise awareness and inspire other Veterans to seek out mental health care resources at TVHS.
The march started at the Alvin C. York VA Medical Center and will conclude April 21 around 1 p.m. at the Nashville VA Medical Center.
Community members and Veterans are encouraged to be at the Lee Victory Park rally point in Smyrna on April 19 until 4 p.m. to connect with Gatewood and learn more about TVHS mental health care services.
“Eighteen years ago on April 19, 2005, I forever changed my life,” Gatewood said. “I remember being upside down in a Humvee in Iraq asking God to spare my life, and he did. I returned home with scars, both physical and mental. It was here at TVHS that I started my road to recovery. Today, I take a symbolic journey to inspire someone to take that road to recovery and get the help that they need.”
Veterans are encouraged to learn more and make a mental health appointment by calling 615-225-3720 or visiting www.va.gov/tennessee-valley-health-care. For immediate assistance, contact the Veteran Crisis Line at 988 and press 1.
Tennessee Valley Healthcare System is an integrated tertiary health care system comprised of two hospitals, the Alvin C. York campus in Murfreesboro and the Nashville campus, as well as 19 community-based outpatient clinics located in Tennessee and Kentucky. TVHS provides ambulatory care, primary care, and secondary care in acute medicine and surgery, specialized tertiary care, transplant services, spinal cord injury outpatient care, and a full range of extended care and mental health services.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- ATF and TBI Now Assisting with Christiana House Fire Investigation
- 200 Most Sustainable Cities - Where does Murfreesboro Rank
- Suspect Allegedly Steals Flowers from Deceased Officer’s Vehicle
- AEDs in All Murfreesboro Police Vehicles
- Murfreesboro: Development Impact Fees Likely to Pass
- MTSU Honors 58-Retiring Employees
- UPDATE: Memorial Services for LaVergne Police Officer
- $250,000 in Items Seized from Middle TN Metal Company
- 4th Annual MMC Storybook Breakfast - Fundraiser for United Way
- Education Starts at Home and Supporting Local Teachers
- Free Comic Books to be Given Away by Rutherford Co. Library Branches
- Convicted Rapist in Rutherford Co. Receives 100-Year Prison Sentence
- New City Park to be Located in Blackman Area
- Are You Eligible for FEMA Funds After March 31/April 1 Storms?
- EVENT: Free Musical Concert This Saturday Evening in Murfreesboro
- EVENT: Earth Day This Saturday on Murfreesboro Square
- EVENT: Possibility Place to Host Bowling Event on Saturday
- EVENT: Barnabas Vision Hosting Family Event April 29th
- COMMENTARY: What is Political Correctness?