MURFREESBORO, TENN – A 70-year-old Cookeville woman became the victim of a crime while in Murfreesboro. The female, who was shopping in the HomeGoods store near the Medical Center Parkway / Thompson Lane intersection, when an unidentified subject stole her wallet that was sitting inside her purse. Inside the wallet were her drivers license, debit and credit cards, $160 in cash and a checkbook. The wallet also contained medical and health insurance information.
As if the victims wallet being lifted as she shopped wasn't shocking enough, the thief allegedly tried to charge around $30-thousand to her card. The victim learned about the attempted charges to her cards when she called her credit card provider. Evidently, the transactions were believed to have been attempted at Sam's Club on John R. Rice Boulevard in the 'Boro.
When the victim checked-in with her bank to advise them of the theft, she was met with another little surprise... The bank wouldn't let her freeze her account because she didn't have her drivers license to verify her true identity. Thankfully, she didn't run into the same issue with the credit card companies that agreed to put a hold on her accounts.
A Murfreesboro Police incident report labeled the theft / fraud case as a felony. At this time, the report shows there are no known suspects.
Source: Murfreesboro Police Incident Report
DISCLAIMER: All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The arrest records or information about an arrest that are published or reported on NewsRadio WGNS and www.WGNSradio.com are not an indication of guilt or evidence that an actual crime has been committed.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- Man Arrested who was Wanted in Murfreesboro, Nashville and Mt. Juliet
- LaVergne to Recount - Says U.S. Census Numbers Off by 4,000 Residents
- Young Man Becomes a Rutherford Co. Sheriff's Deputy for the Day
- Gas and Diesel Prices This Week in Rutherford County
- Fatal Sunday Morning Accident in Murfreesboro
- Great Tennessee Air Show on June 10-11th
- Local High School Students Named Bassmaster Champions
- Smyrna Victim Held Hostage - Two Wanted Persons
- City of Murfreesboro Impact Fee on New Home Construction and More
- Rutherford County Mayor Aims to Establish an Impact Fee or Development Tax
- One Shot in Leg During Murfreesboro Shooting Incident
- Hundreds of Dollars in Liquor Allegedly Shoplifted in Murfreesboro
- A Soldier’s Child Announces NEW Solid Black Specialty License Plate
- Over $1,400 in Scented Candles Reportedly Stolen in the 'Boro
- 250 Citations Issued by Traffic Task Force in Rutherford County in 12-Hours
- One Arrested for Attempted Murder in Murfreesboro
- UPDATE: Mixed-Use Development in Downtown Murfreesboro Still Moving Forward
- Rutherford County Schools will Completely Rezone All Local Schools
- UPDATE: Suspect in Franklin, TN Teen Sexual Groping Case Arrested
- UPDATE: 4-Year-Old Dies in Shooting at a Nashville Intersection
- APPEAL DENIED: Man Files Appeal After THC Related DUI and Sentencing
- Nashville Superspeedway and Rackley Roofing Show Support for MTSU Daniels Center
- House and Senate Members from Rutherford Co. Push for Better Updates to Hospital Bed Availability