MURFREESBORO, TN - August is peak produce time in Tennessee for many of your favorite fruits and vegetables. Farmers markets from east to west and in between are packed with fresh produce. Aug 7-13, 2022 is National Farmers Market Week and is the perfect time to stock up and support local farmers.
The Farmers Market in Murfreesboro at the Lane Agri-Park opened earlier this year in May. It is a Producer-Only Farmers Market and it is in the indoor open-air Community Center at the Lane Agri-Park on John R. Rice Blvd., down the street from Sam's Club and Tractor Supply.
When it comes to paying for your purchase at the Farmers Market at the Ag Center in the ‘Boro, customers can pay with cash, credit, debit, and even use their SNAP/EBT benefit card. WIC vouchers are also accepted by participating vendors in throughout the month of August, but not in October.
“Farmers markets play an essential role in communities by creating space for connection and actively fostering more resilient local food systems,” according to Agriculture Commissioner Charlie Hatcher, D.V.M. He further stated, “Making the local connection and developing a relationship with the farmers producing your food is the perfect way to support your local community and economy.”
As students go back to school, filling lunchboxes with quality, healthy food is easy to do after a visit to the farmers market. The one-stop location provides options for diverse and tasty selections that family members of all ages will love.
Other Farmers Markets Throughout Tennessee - In addition to traditional produce, many Tennessee farmers markets offer meats, artisan products, flowers, live music, and food trucks. Some markets accept SNAP and EBT benefits. Check with your local market for information on food assistance programs.
“The Henderson Farmers Market has been a blessing to this community in many ways,” market manager Steve Rickman said. “We are thriving, and we continue to add new events and ideas that will keep us sustainable for years to come.”
SMYRNA, TN - In Smyrna, TN, the local Farmers Market takes place every Saturday through September 17th. The market is in the Historic Smyrna Depot District (98 Front Street, Smyrna, TN 37167). It is open between the hours of 8AM and 12-noon.
More WGNS News Headlines that IMPACT Rutherford County, TN:
- Rutherford County Schools to Surpass 50,000+ Students
- UPDATE: Two Life Sentences in Terry Barber Murder Case – One Case Remains Open
- Rutherford County Schools and Sheriff Speaks on School Safety
- Uncle Dave Macon Days Confirmed for October of 2022
- ATF Indictment after Rutherford Co. Sheriff’s Office and other agencies investigate 2-Gun Store Burglaries
- Murfreesboro Man Alleged to be Tied to Drive-By Shooting in Nashville – Arrests Made
- Hotel Stays are UP in Rutherford County and Murfreesboro, TN
- How would Rutherford County SRO’s React to a school shooting like the one in Uvalde, TX?
- WHAT? 15,000 Fentanyl-Laced Pills SEIZED, thanks to Murfreesboro Police and the TBI
- REMINDER: TAX FREE Groceries at Local Grocery Stores Throughout AUGUST!
- Greenway Trail Extension Underway and Disc Golf Proves Popular in Murfreesboro
- Indictment Confirmed in ATF Case Involving 37-Stolen Firearms and a Truck in Rutherford County
- Rutherford County Opens Military Veterans Service Center to Help Veterans with Benefits and More
- Two Life Sentences in a Christiana Murder Case – One Suspect Awaiting Trial Set for January
- Car Burglaries, Vehicle Thefts and People Leaving Unsecured Firearms in Unlocked Cars in the ‘Boro
- $15-Million Grant Awarded - Will Help Middle TN with Technology Jobs and More
- Smyrna Has the Lowest Unemployment in Rutherford County – Beating LaVergne and Murfreesboro
- Murfreesboro Police and their Response to Mental Health Crisis Situations
MURFREESBORO, TN - Although it is not tied to the Agriculture Extension Service, there is another market in Murfreesboro that has similarities with farmers markets throughout the state. The other market in Murfreesboro takes place on Saturday’s only and it is called the Main Street Saturday Market. It is on the historic downtown Murfreesboro square. Around 70-vendors set up for the weekly event. Main Street Executive Director Sarah Callender told WGNS…
The 2022 Main Street Market runs through October 29th. Producers and vendors surround the Rutherford County Courthouse from 8AM to Noon on Saturday’s. Learn more about the Main Street Saturday Market HERE.
Pick Tennessee Products and Shop Locally
Pick Tennessee Products is the connection to a farmers market near you. There are currently 163 farmers markets listed on the Pick Tennessee Products website and mobile app. Markets are encouraged to apply for this free listing at www.pickTNproducts.org. Follow @PickTNProducts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for seasonal updates and information about farm-related events, activities, and products.